Astrology is derived from the Greek words ‘Astros’, meaning star, and ‘logia’, meaning ‘study of’. To put it simply, astrology is the study of stars. This elaborate science is based on the fact that the events in the human world are influenced by the astronomical position of stars and planets. Astrology aims at deciphering the meaning of the signals that the universe sends to us, and using these signals for an in-depth analysis of the various aspects of our lives. This science is mostly used for horoscope predictions and determining personality traits in the Western world. However, the Indians, Chinese and Mayans have developed highly-detailed systems based on the principles of astrology, which combine astronomy and mathematics.
History of Astrology
The history of astrology dates back to 410 BC, when the first horoscope was written. However, it was not until 1645 BC, that the first astrological records were created, in Babylon. Galileo and Copernicus are two of the earliest known astrologers, who practiced astrology during the Renaissance period. The popularity of astrology experienced a dramatic dip in 1524, when predictions of the great conjunction failed to come true. The birth of Princess Margaret in 1930 was accompanied with a special astrological column in a leading British newspaper, which brought astrology back in the modern world.
How Astrology Works
Unlike most other systems of prediction, which are based on pure belief and apparent assumptions, astrology is based on an elaborate set of principles, which can be seen, learnt and understood. For one who is unaware of these principles, astrology may seem illogical and unscientific. However, the more that one learns about astrology, the stronger the belief in its power grows. The three basic principles on which astrology is based are:
- A Cosmic Pattern: The idea of a cosmic pattern is based on the fact that time is a continuous phenomenon, and whatever happens at any point of time, is a direct influence of the position of stars and planets at that time. In this way, all the events and occurrences of our lives are related to each other. By studying your birth chart, an astrologer can devise a detailed outline of your life, based on the position of the planets at the time of your birth.
- The Solar Wind: The solar wind is one of the most scientific principles of astrology. According to it, the sun emits a stream of energy particles, which affect the electromagnetic field of the earth. This in turn, alters our DNA, which is why people with the same zodiac signs have similar characteristics. The study of transits helps in determining what the future position of the planets will be, which is how astrology predicts the future.
- Resonance: The principle of resonance establishes a link between the earth’s electromagnetic field and our body’s electromagnetism. According to this principle, a developing embryo is shaped according to the electromagnetic field of the earth at the time, and this influence lasts all through our life.
Benefits of Astrology:
- Understanding the traits that shape your personality.
- Knowing the untapped skills within you, and using them for your benefit.
- Determining what the purpose of your life is meant to be.
- Helping you in making decisions related to your career.
- Predicting how compatible you will be in a relationship with a certain individual.
- Foreseeing the events of the future, and helping you to prepare yourself for them.
- Determining the best time to initiate a particular project.